Mackay Estate Gate Lodge
Address Harbor Hill Road, East Hills
The Mackay Estate Gate Lodge in East Hills is architecturally significant as a representative example of a country estate outbuilding and the work of Stanford White and the prominent firm of McKim, Mead & White. The building was designed in 1899 by Stanford White and built in 1900-1902 as part of Clarence Mackay’s 560-acre Harbor Hill estate.
Both the main mansion and the lodge were designed in the French Baroque style with stone walls and a steep roof slope. The gate lodge was designed as a miniature version of the main house, identifying the location and architectural grandeur of the estate from a public road. The estate was active until the death of Clarence Mackay in 1937. The Harbor Hill mansion was demolished in 1947. In 1954 the estate and gate lodge was purchased by a real estate builder of the Country Estates subdivision.
On April 12, 1991, the Mackay Estate Gate Lodge was listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places. From the 1950s to 2008, the Mackay Estate Gate Lodge was used as part of the Country Estates swim club. The Mackay Estate Gate Lodge is one of only three buildings still standing from the Mackay Harbor Hill Estate (Dairyman’s Cottage and the John Mackay Stone House). It is located on Roslyn Road and Harbor Hill Road as the gateway to both the Village of Roslyn and the Village of East Hills.The Mackay Estate Gate Lodge was sold to G.A.D. Development in 2009. The new owners were required by the Village of East Hills to restore the lodge and maintain it by an obligation of a homeowner’s association.
In several 2011 contacts with Howard Kroplick, Paul Bloom, the attorney for G.A.D., communicated the possibility of donating the Mackay Estate Gate Lodge to the Town of North Hempstead. It was proposed that the Mackay Estate Gate Lodge could become a Town of North Hempstead mini-park managed by the Roslyn Landmark Society. On October 18, 2011, the major parties involved in this project met at the Town Hall in Manhasset. An agreement to donate the Gate Lodge to the Town of North Hempstead was accepted in principle by all parties.
In December 2011, East Hills Mayor Michael Koblenz met with Town Supervisor Jon Kaiman and Councilman Tom Dwyer. Mayor Koblenz stated he approved the proposed transaction with G.A.D. Properties responsible for “restoring and revitalizing” the gate lodge as agreed with the Village. On November 4, 2017, ownership of the Mackay Estate Gate Lodge was transferred to the Village of East Hills.