Simon and Martha Replogle House
Address50 Bryant Avenue, Roslyn
Harriet Terry owned a subdivision behind her residence of approximately 27 lots along Church Street, Steamboat Landing (no longer extant) Summit Avenue and around St. Mary's Church. In 1868, Ms. Terry, a land speculator sold (Liber 276 page 423) the property to Catherine O. Miller of Miller Place along with seven other lots. Miller in turn held the property for 32 years or until her death circa 1900. It was not uncommon for middle class woman to speculate in real estate as a means of income and investment.
This property was included in Catherine Miller's probate and sold by her estate on November 24, 1900 (Liber 12 page 554) for $550.00 for a 100 x 125 lot. A recent arrival to Roslyn from Pennsylvania, Simon D. Replogle purchased the property and began construction the following spring or summer. This house is clearly shown on the 1902 Sanborn maps although the lot was sold at the end of 1900 as vacant property. The house was clearly built in 1901 by Mr Simon D. Replogle, the principal of the Roslyn High School from 1890 to 1902. Mr. Replogle married a local girl, Miss Martha (Mattie) B. Germaine, in 1891, she was 18 and he was 32. At first they lived on a house on "East Turnpike which was recently vacated by a Mr. Victor Robbins and family" ( Roslyn Library, Bryant Room Clipping File). He and his bride built this house in 1901 and then only a year later , he retired from his position at the Roslyn High School. Mr. Reploge then took off fivey ears and probably enjoyed his boat that he often slept on. He was also an avid fisherman. He rejoined the work force by becoming the Roslyn Postmaster until March of 1915 (Roslyn Library, Bryant Room clipping file). In 1923, (Liber 781, page 348) Simon and Martha Replogle sold their home on Bryant Avenue after 23 years