Address145 East Broadway, Roslyn
The land on which the Smith, Valentine, Wood House was built was carved out of a parcel of property owned by a Roslyn landowner family by the name of Losee. James and Elizabeth Losee transferred the lot to John Wood and Ann Smith on January 16, 1855. An additional plot was transferred to the Smiths on March 27, 1860 creating the 50ft. by 110ft. lot.
The Smith, Valentine, Wood House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 through the efforts of Dr. Roger G. Gerry.
The house is a small 3 bay, side hall Cape Cod cottage of the second quarter of the 18th century built either by Thomas Wood, who would have been 68 years old at the time, or by his son, John Wood. Thomas Wood was a principal carpenter-builder of many Roslyn homes. The original house consisted of the present façade, with a small ell attached to the rear. A larger ell was added and it is assumed the original small structure was extended to conform to the dimensions of the newer addition.
The house remained in the Smith, Valentine families for four generations. It was acquired by Herbert and Alice Wood in 1940 from the estate of Myra Clark Valentine. Herbert Wood died in 1955. Subsequently Alice married Vincent Ellis, a local realtor. On April 27, 1999 the house and property was conveyed to Janet Insardi.